One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A strong link or plate on the hull of a yacht or sailing ship, to which a shroud is secured.
- ‘Now, speaking about chainplate width in particular, not enough people seem to realise how important this is.’
- ‘Sereia's chainplates were fiberglassed right into her hull, which is fine until one of them starts to rust.’
- ‘Cracking or distortion on the deck around the chainplate may indicate a misalignment problem and or a deck leak.’
- ‘Turnbuckles and chainplates must be angled so that loads are in a direct line with stays and shrouds.’
- ‘The forward chainplate had knifed through the foredeck.’
- ‘However, three bolts should be more than sufficient, as the old chainplates were secured with only three bolts.’
- ‘By making a hook at each end I could attach the wire to the chainplate and put a pen in the other end.’
- ‘Paul, from photo 2 it looks like the original chainplates had 6 screws or bolts into the bulk head.’
- ‘I seem to remember someone saying that there's a better material for the chainplates than stainless.’
- ‘There would be little benefit to adding a chainplate a few inches to the port side of the tiller.’
- ‘The pin shown to the right is almost certainly smaller than the hole in the chainplate allowing it to tilt.’
- ‘This turnbuckle fastens to the chainplate with a jaw fitting and pin, and is swaged to the wire rope stay.’
- ‘The chainplates themselves extend as far down the bulkheads as possible, reaching just above the bench level.’
- ‘You can see these in the third photo, which shows the profile of the chainplate and backing plate.’
- ‘Later I saw the same type of scratch on four other chainplates in approximately the same location.’
- ‘The jib rack was made from the same brass section as the chainplates, and is also 2.5’ long.’
- ‘You can buy covers that go over the chainplates on the deck that hide any Sikoflex and help reduce leakage.’
- ‘Actually, one side and the ends should be packed, then the chainplate slid in and bolted in place.’
- ‘They should be large enough to project from the sides of the chainplate by a good 12 mm all round.’
- ‘Here's a view of the aft port lower knee with the new chainplate temporarily clamped to it for some test fitting.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.