One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The basic monetary unit of Cameroon, Congo, Gabon, and the Central African Republic, equal to 100 centimes.
- ‘When the rebel spokesman was informed of the attack, he called the depot manager, apologized, and asked if he wanted to be paid in dollars or CFA francs.’
- ‘Individuals responsible for the death of a woman from FGM can receive between five and twenty years of hard labor, and fines ranging between three and six million CFA francs.’
- ‘Drissa just earned a day's wages - 350 CFA francs, or US $0.59-selling guavas that he himself picked 10 km away from Korhogo.’
- ‘Growers have long complained of being denied access to a reserve fund estimated at more than 300 billion CFA francs.’
- ‘At the end of every month, I am paid 10,000 CFA francs.’
- ‘In this village, we were told that people received a one-time-only payment of between 80,000 and 100,000 CFA francs.’
- ‘It brings in more than 181 billion CFA francs a year, and this is particularly for industrial fishing.’
- ‘The Republic of Congo is now a significant oil producer earning a surplus of 136.3 billion CFA francs in 2004 from petroleum sales.’
- ‘The price paid to the country's 600,000 cocoa farmers will be set at 380 CFA (African Financial Community) francs a kilogramme, a rise of 15 CFA francs on the previous season.’
- ‘This once-prosperous country has fallen into economic decline since France unilaterally devalued the CFA franc and allowed the International Monetary Fund to dictate economic policy.’
- ‘He also noted that diamond sales netted between 200 and 400 million CFA francs (€305 000 euros and €610 000) in taxes each year.’
- ‘‘To charge the batteries that run our appliances, we have to spend 500 to 1 000 CFA francs to bring them to Ouagadougou,’ he added.’
- ‘Modest initial growth was seriously undermined in 1994 by the 50 percent devaluation of the CFA franc, while privatization led to the retrenchment of 10,000 public workers.’
- ‘‘Yesterday we decided that every single person in the village should contribute 500 CFA francs towards buying insecticide powder,’ Gueye, the head of the farmers' association, told IRIN.’
- ‘All other rebels and those drafted into the loyalist forces since the outbreak of war will be given 500,000 CFA francs and receive job training for a return to normal life, government officials said.’
- ‘According to a BBC report, a Mauritanian shopkeeper reported to the local mayor that the paramilitary police had stolen 500,000 CFA francs from his shop.’
- ‘The strike action is already causing the industry a loss of 360 million CFA francs per day, having brought three palm oil factories to a halt.’
- ‘The staple food manioc, which normally sells for 350 CFA francs per kilogram, has almost doubled and is set to rise further.’
- ‘Nurses are demanding the government supply them with disposable rubber gloves and face masks and pay a 10 percent risk premium above their monthly salary of 140,000 CFA francs per month.’
CFA from French Communauté Financière Africaine ‘African Financial Community’.
Chartered financial analyst.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.