Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] The chemical element of atomic number 58, a silvery-white metal. It is the most abundant of the lanthanide elements and is the main component of the alloy misch metal.
- ‘Green light is also emitted from some lanthanide elements: lanthanum, cerium, and terbium.’
- ‘By replacing yttrium ions with europium, the researchers could make garnets with a violet hue, while ytterbium, zirconium, and cerium produced green garnets.’
- ‘That porous layer, which contains stabilized zirconia and small amounts of the metals ruthenium and cerium, chemically and cleanly converts the fuel to hydrogen.’
- ‘Mosander suggested the name of cerium for the element in honor of the asteroid Ceres that had been discovered in 1801.’
- ‘We see cerium, lanthanum, neodymium, and so forth, which indicate we are dealing with a rare-earth mineral, and that can mean big problems.’
- ‘His discovery ignited research into the physics of ‘heavy fermion ‘metals, which are a class of alloys that usually involve cerium or uranium.’’
- ‘Each segment contains small amounts of ions of relatively rare metals, such as dysprosium, thulium, and cerium, which fluoresce in different colors.’
- ‘Correlated systems include radioactive metals, such as plutonium, and compounds based on so-called rare earth elements and transition metals, such as cerium, ytterbium and copper.’
- ‘It's done with certain oxides of rare-earth elements such as cerium.’
- ‘At the time, there was much excitement in the scientific community, and the next element to be discovered was named cerium, in the object's honor.’
- ‘For example, an alloy of calcium and cerium is used in flints in cigarette and other types of lighters.’
- ‘For most raw materials the combined use of cerium and magnesium followed by ferro-silicon as an inoculent is used to produce spheroidal graphite iron.’
- ‘Other minor elements, such as aluminum, antimony, arsenic, bismuth, lead, magnesium, cerium, and calcium, can significantly alter both the graphite morphology and the microstructure of the matrix.’
Early 19th century: named after the asteroid Ceres, discovered shortly before.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.