Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The principal and most anterior part of the brain in vertebrates, located in the front area of the skull and consisting of two hemispheres, left and right, separated by a fissure. It is responsible for the integration of complex sensory and neural functions and the initiation and coordination of voluntary activity in the body.
cerebrum, cerebral matterView synonyms
- ‘The cerebrum, pons, and medulla were hypoplastic.’
- ‘The outer layer of the cerebrum, called the cerebral cortex, is responsible for most higher brain functions such as thought, reasoning, memory, and voluntary muscle movement.’
- ‘These changes were observed in a multifocal distribution involving the white matter of the cerebrum, cerebellum, brain stem, and spinal cord.’
- ‘The cortical system of arterial branches ramifies over the cerebrum to supply the cortex with arterioles that anastomose in the pia mater.’
- ‘When pain is experienced, this sensation has reached the cerebrum through complex and dynamic interactions.’
Early 17th century: from Latin, brain.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.