Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Each of the paired ventral cartilaginous sections of the branchial arch in fishes.
- ‘The inner surface of the right operclc can be observed, and also some branchial arch elements such as the ceratobranchial and hypobranchial.’
- ‘Thus, each of the branchial arches, the arches which actually function as respiratory arches in fishes, has an epibranchial and a ceratobranchial.’
- ‘In Amia, as in many actinopterygian fishes, the ceratobranchials do much of the mundane work and heavy lifting.’
- ‘Lateral expansion occurs through rotation of the curved ceratobranchials I and 2 about their articulations with the hyoid body.’
- ‘As mentioned above, the coracoid also articulates with terminal ceratobranchial through a coracoid condyle.’
Mid 19th century: from Greek keras, kerat- horn + branchial (see branchia).
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.