Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Each of the paired ventral cartilaginous sections of the branchial arch in fishes.
- ‘The inner surface of the right operclc can be observed, and also some branchial arch elements such as the ceratobranchial and hypobranchial.’
- ‘As mentioned above, the coracoid also articulates with terminal ceratobranchial through a coracoid condyle.’
- ‘Thus, each of the branchial arches, the arches which actually function as respiratory arches in fishes, has an epibranchial and a ceratobranchial.’
- ‘In Amia, as in many actinopterygian fishes, the ceratobranchials do much of the mundane work and heavy lifting.’
- ‘Lateral expansion occurs through rotation of the curved ceratobranchials I and 2 about their articulations with the hyoid body.’
Mid 19th century: from Greek keras, kerat- horn + branchial (see branchia).
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.