Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An active predatory mollusc of the large class Cephalopoda, such as an octopus or squid.
- ‘In contrast, the Frasnian / Famennian boundary did not mark a major extinction event for stemmed echinoderms as it did for corals, brachiopods, and cephalopods.’
- ‘A typical marine community consisted of these animals, plus red and green algae, primitive fish, cephalopods, corals, crinoids, and gastropods.’
- ‘The invasion was not limited to brachiopods but also included bryozoans, cephalopods, corals, bivalves, gastropods, trilobites, and crinoids.’
- ‘Corals, conodonts, bivalves, brachiopods and cephalopods have comparable intracratonic distribution patterns.’
- ‘During this period the gastropods, like the cephalopods, underwent a tremendous evolutionary radiation.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.