Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An active predatory mollusc of the large class "Cephalopoda" , such as an octopus or squid.
- ‘In contrast, the Frasnian / Famennian boundary did not mark a major extinction event for stemmed echinoderms as it did for corals, brachiopods, and cephalopods.’
- ‘During this period the gastropods, like the cephalopods, underwent a tremendous evolutionary radiation.’
- ‘The invasion was not limited to brachiopods but also included bryozoans, cephalopods, corals, bivalves, gastropods, trilobites, and crinoids.’
- ‘A typical marine community consisted of these animals, plus red and green algae, primitive fish, cephalopods, corals, crinoids, and gastropods.’
- ‘Corals, conodonts, bivalves, brachiopods and cephalopods have comparable intracratonic distribution patterns.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.