One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Each of a pair of minute cylindrical organelles near the nucleus in animal cells, involved in the development of spindle fibres in cell division.
- ‘Closure of the midbody requires the presence of a mother centriole to close the intercellular bridge.’
- ‘It is the sperm basal body that serves as a centriole in the zygotic microtubule organizing center.’
- ‘In most animal cells, the centrosome contains a pair of centrioles, which consist of an array of microtubules.’
- ‘Glaucophytes undergo open mitosis and lack centrioles associated with the centrosomes.’
- ‘In contrast to the canonical pathway of spindle formation, in diverse organisms such as mammals, nematodes, and insects, female meiotic spindles are organized in the absence of centrosomes and centrioles.’
Late 19th century: from modern Latin centriolum, diminutive of centrum (see centre).
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.