Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1The action or process of placing something in the middle of something else.
focusing, centralization, directionView synonyms
- ‘Once this is done, with appropriate hacks for Internet Explorer (which does not implement minimum and maximum heights), vertical centering is achieved.’
- ‘I love the intensity of a whirlpool's centring of things.’
- ‘The horizontal centering is not a problem.’
Framing used to support an arch or dome while it is under construction.
- ‘The shaping of this sort of centring would probably be done by eye, perhaps with the help of a template and the stone or brick structure laid against it.’
- ‘The centring is normally made of wood which was a relatively straightforward structure in a simple arch or vault but with more complex shapes clay or sand bound by a weak lime mortar mix could be used.’
- ‘Brunelleschi won the contest in 1420 with a proposal to erect the dome without wooden centering.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.