One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1The action or process of placing something in the middle of something else.
focusing, centralization, directionView synonyms
- ‘The horizontal centering is not a problem.’
- ‘I love the intensity of a whirlpool's centring of things.’
- ‘Once this is done, with appropriate hacks for Internet Explorer (which does not implement minimum and maximum heights), vertical centering is achieved.’
Framing used to support an arch or dome while it is under construction.
- ‘The shaping of this sort of centring would probably be done by eye, perhaps with the help of a template and the stone or brick structure laid against it.’
- ‘Brunelleschi won the contest in 1420 with a proposal to erect the dome without wooden centering.’
- ‘The centring is normally made of wood which was a relatively straightforward structure in a simple arch or vault but with more complex shapes clay or sand bound by a weak lime mortar mix could be used.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.