Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The strip of land between the carriageways of a motorway or other major road.→ median
- ‘Later, a van was blown into the central reservation on the trunk road's eastbound carriageway.’
- ‘A spokeswoman for Clacton police said the Clacton-bound lorry had got stuck in the central reservation of the road blocking both carriageways.’
- ‘She had started to walk across the dual carriageway towards the central reservation.’
- ‘On the M1, near junction 39, a wagon travelling north toppled over the central reservation into the southbound carriageway.’
- ‘His car which was in a 40 mph zone clipped the kerb, skidded over the central reservation onto the opposite carriageway and spun into the lamppost.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.