Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The complex of nerve tissues that controls the activities of the body. In vertebrates it comprises the brain and spinal cord.
- ‘Studies in the mid-1970s showed workers exposed to vinyl chloride suffered an excessive number of cancer deaths from cancer of the liver, lung, lymphatic and central nervous systems, including brain tumors.’
- ‘Fish are vertebrates, with a brain, a central nervous system and pain receptors all over their bodies, including the lips.’
- ‘MS is a disease of the central nervous system that affects the brain and spinal cord.’
- ‘The sphingomyelin content is also high in the central nervous system and in the spinal cord.’
- ‘Lymphatics are found in every part of the body except the central nervous system.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.