Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] A system for warming a building by heating water or air in one place and circulating it through pipes and radiators or vents.‘gas-fired central heating’
- ‘They have central heating, hot and cold running water, a fridge and a domestic-size cooker.’
- ‘Staff are even encouraged to wear warmer clothes in cold weather to reduce the need for central heating.’
- ‘There is no central heating, one tumble dryer for 17 people and only one source of hot water.’
- ‘Some people don't like having their central heating on and their houses are freezing.’
- ‘We did not put central heating or double glazing in homes we had any intention of demolishing.’
- ‘The house has oil fired central heating and also has electric storage heaters.’
- ‘With central heating we do not have air circulation as in the old days.’
- ‘Gas-fired central heating and a video intercom system are included in each apartment.’
- ‘The house is fitted with gas-fired central heating and double glazed hardwood windows.’
- ‘The property is also fitted with gas fired central heating and smoke alarms.’
- ‘I was told this is because I have central heating and the water rates are connected to the general rates.’
- ‘My property is a one bedroom flat with 5 radiators, gas central heating and a gas cooker.’
- ‘The cottage has gas fired central heating, a burglar alarm and draught proof sash windows.’
- ‘My family had no central heating, one open fire and no double glazing.’
- ‘There is a security entry phone system, gas central heating and reserved car parking space.’
- ‘Then gas fires and central heating started to become popular and families replaced their coal fires.’
- ‘It has been rewired, with double glazing and central heating put in, along with a new kitchen and bathroom.’
- ‘In today's world, electricity turns our nights into days and central heating our winters into spring.’
- ‘A mother hit boiling point after going more than six weeks without hot water or central heating.’
- ‘The first thing is to make sure that, if you have gas-fired central heating, your gas boiler is working smoothly.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.