Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A predatory myriapod invertebrate with a flattened elongated body composed of many segments. Most segments bear a single pair of legs, the front pair being modified as poison fangs.
- ‘His band practices in the damp room next door, on a red-painted floor crawling with centipedes and spiders.’
- ‘Although the burrows with the trapdoor provide protection against most natural enemies e.g. wasps and centipedes, some are still able to invade the burrows and additional defense mechanisms are used to overcome this problem.’
- ‘The arthropodes, like centipedes, beetles, millipedes and worms, bring in the finishing touches to complete the composting.’
- ‘The rubbish also attracted beetles, flies, centipedes and millipedes.’
- ‘Curiously, the number of trunk segments in centipedes is always odd.’
- ‘In their burrows, funnel-webs face aggressive predators such as centipedes and king crickets.’
- ‘Insects mined and bored every bit of wood and leaf, while centipedes and millipedes crawled all over.’
- ‘For David, the real challenge of filming the world's invertebrates came not from confronting swarms of bees and giant bat-eating centipedes, but from filming their miniature universe.’
- ‘These tiny myriapods generally resemble very small centipedes.’
- ‘Safe for now the Scorpion continued on its journey, its targets for tonight were insects, spiders, centipedes, and other scorpions.’
- ‘Adding to the list of ignored forewarnings from the volcano, they reported that poisonous centipedes and snakes had swarmed over the outskirts of the city and that people had been dying from an epidemic triggered by volcanic pollution.’
- ‘Yet, as Yearley has observed, it is difficult to convince the general public that species such as spiders and centipedes are as worthy of conservation as brightly coloured birds or appealing mammals.’
- ‘Silurian strata have provided likely ascomycete fossils (a group of fungi), as well as remains of the first arachnids and centipedes.’
- ‘If one is on a holiday with the entire family, he may visit the Butterfly Pavilion and Insect Center which is an artificial shelter of numerous insects like centipedes and beautiful butterflies.’
- ‘Other than scorpions, centipedes have to be the most disgusting bug on earth.’
- ‘All of the known Mesozoic centipedes, including C. oberlii, are morphologically indistinguishable from extant centipedes.’
- ‘There were scorpions inside jars, and papers were cluttered underneath them; drawings of spiders, centipedes, and large ants.’
- ‘Onychophorans themselves have few predators, except perhaps insect carnivores such as centipedes, birds and rodents.’
- ‘A hospital spokesman said: ‘Squirrels have been a problem in the roofspace of the low rise block of the offices on West Park, along with occasional visits from birds, wasps and centipedes.’’
- ‘Some arthropods, like the centipedes, millipedes, and insects, have legs with a single branch (uniramous appendages).’
Mid 17th century: from French centipède or Latin centipeda, from centum ‘a hundred’ + pes, ped- ‘foot’.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.