Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A map unit used to express the distance between two gene loci on a chromosome. A spacing of one centimorgan indicates a one per cent chance that two genes will be separated by crossing over.
- ‘Each horizontal axis represents the genetic map of the indicated rat chromosome in Haldane centimorgans and the markers at which genotypes were determined.’
- ‘Numbers to the left of the chromosome indicate the genetic distance in centimorgans from the centromere.’
- ‘The black numerals on the left of the chromosome indicate the genetic distance in centimorgans.’
- ‘The x-axis represents the length of the chromosome in centimorgans.’
- ‘The distance is indicated as centimorgans with the 95% confidence interval in brackets.’
Mid 20th century: from centi- (denoting a factor of one hundredth) + the name of T. H. Morgan (see Morgan, Thomas Hunt).
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.