Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A map unit used to express the distance between two gene loci on a chromosome. A spacing of one centimorgan indicates a one per cent chance that two genes will be separated by crossing over.
- ‘The x-axis represents the length of the chromosome in centimorgans.’
- ‘The distance is indicated as centimorgans with the 95% confidence interval in brackets.’
- ‘Numbers to the left of the chromosome indicate the genetic distance in centimorgans from the centromere.’
- ‘Each horizontal axis represents the genetic map of the indicated rat chromosome in Haldane centimorgans and the markers at which genotypes were determined.’
- ‘The black numerals on the left of the chromosome indicate the genetic distance in centimorgans.’
Mid 20th century: from centi- (denoting a factor of one hundredth) + the name of T. H. Morgan(see Morgan, Thomas Hunt).
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.