One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A map unit used to express the distance between two gene loci on a chromosome. A spacing of one centimorgan indicates a one per cent chance that two genes will be separated by crossing over.
- ‘The black numerals on the left of the chromosome indicate the genetic distance in centimorgans.’
- ‘The x-axis represents the length of the chromosome in centimorgans.’
- ‘Each horizontal axis represents the genetic map of the indicated rat chromosome in Haldane centimorgans and the markers at which genotypes were determined.’
- ‘The distance is indicated as centimorgans with the 95% confidence interval in brackets.’
- ‘Numbers to the left of the chromosome indicate the genetic distance in centimorgans from the centromere.’
Early 20th century: from centi- (denoting a factor of one hundredth) + the name of T. H. Morgan (see Morgan, Thomas Hunt).
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.