Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Relating to division into hundredths.
- ‘As a rule it is sufficient to give per day three doses of 5 drops of the 6th centesimal potency.’
- ‘In the centesimal system of potentisation, one drop of the raw material is diluted or dissolved in 99 drops of the dilutant.’
- ‘In this method a single pellet dose of the centesimal potency is used as long as the patient is improving even in the slightest manner.’
- ‘We therefore calculated this variable as the difference between mean breeding latitude and mean wintering latitude (in centesimal degrees).’
- ‘Most classical homeopathic practitioners use the centesimal scale of potencies, although a few use the millesimal.’
Early 19th century: from Latin centesimus hundredth, from centum a hundred.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.