Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A plant of a Eurasian genus which includes the cornflower and knapweed.
- ‘The tender centaureas are valued for summer bedding on account of their pure silvery or bluish tinted white foliage.’
- ‘Of the perennial clumping centaureas, the best is Persian Bachelor Buttons.’
- ‘If you are sowing in spring, it's a good idea to make more than one sowing of the annuals because centaureas are not long-blooming plants.’
- ‘A new strain of Marguerite centaureas has a better form and more substance to the blossoms.’
- ‘Many of the centaureas make good cut-flowers, but I like this one especially.’
Modern Latin based on Greek kentauros ‘centaur’ (see centaury).
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.