One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- another term for nitrocellulose
- ‘Cellulose reacts with nitric and sulfuric acids to produce cellulose nitrate.’
- ‘A ‘cel’ is a sheet of cellulose nitrate or acetate on which an animator paints a cartoon figure or scene.’
- ‘The first cellulose resin, cellulose nitrate or celluloid, was invented by John Wesley Hyatt, who was trying to find a substitute for ivory in billiard balls in order to win a contest.’
- ‘As cellulose nitrate rots, it shrinks and becomes brittle, leaking toxic fumes corrosive enough to turn a reel of film into smelly gelatin ooze.’
- ‘Lacquering plants, processors of cellulose nitrate, oil companies, and public utilities are examples of companies where these tools were used.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.