One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Persistent subcutaneous fat causing dimpling of the skin, especially on women's hips and thighs.
- ‘Plastic surgeons may recommend alternative treatments for cellulite to be used alone or in conjunction with lipoplasty.’
- ‘After the first couple of treatments, my cellulite seemed lumpier than usual.’
- ‘Is it possible to get rid of cellulite on the back of the legs or elsewhere?’
- ‘They can also help conceal cellulite and other imperfections.’
- ‘Coffee grounds (warm, caffeinated) also help to improve the look of cellulite when massaged into skin in the shower.’
- ‘Recently, she has noticed the accumulation of body fat and cellulite, especially on the back of her thighs and buttocks.’
- ‘The pain gets slightly worse where the skin is looser and there's more cellulite.’
- ‘Liposuction is not a treatment for weight control or obesity and it cannot remove cellulite or stretch marks.’
- ‘If he can cope with my cellulite, I can cope with his flab.’
- ‘It's nearly the end of summer, and the trauma of exposing your cellulite is over for another year.’
- ‘She ran the nozzle across my skin in gentle, swooping strokes while explaining that cellulite is no respecter of the lean, healthy or lissom, which pleased me no end.’
- ‘While this product didn't seem to have much effect on cellulite or toning, it did make my skin feel much smoother and softer.’
- ‘Liposuction does not change the structure of the skin, so can't get rid of cellulite.’
- ‘In the future, infrared laser therapy and massage could be used to break down fat and smooth cellulite.’
- ‘The therapist identifies areas affected by cellulite, then exfoliates the body.’
- ‘If a thin person does not exercise, has poor skin tone or has a poor diet, she may also get cellulite, though a fat person will be more prone.’
- ‘The less fat you have, the less noticeable cellulite is, which is why diet and exercise play an important role.’
- ‘But if you reduce your body fat, you can also minimize your cellulite.’
- ‘So, if cellulite is just plain old fat, why is it so stubborn?’
- ‘I've also dropped two dress sizes, got a flat stomach for the first time in years and, surprise, surprise, lost my cellulite.’
1960s: from French, from cellule ‘small cell’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.