One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1The person in a monastery who is responsible for provisioning and catering.
- ‘Within the abbey, some monks had particular jobs to do and specific titles, such as the cellarer.’
- 1.1 A cellarman.
- ‘André Simon was, unsurprisingly, a leading light and the original cellarer and treasurer.’
- ‘She thought about how lonely and cold the cellarer's job had to be. ‘Mother is lucky in comparison.’’
- ‘I had the cellarer bring me a flask of good de Nef wine, all for nothing.’
- ‘As well as being the chairman of Justerini & Brooks, Demery has, since 1992, also found time to be the Queen's cellarer.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.