One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The state of abstaining from marriage and sexual relations.‘a priest who had taken a vow of celibacy’
chastity, virginity, maidenhood, maidenhead, abstinence, self-denial, self-restraint, abnegation, asceticismView synonyms
- ‘This experience may in part have influenced her commitment to making celibacy a central pillar of Shaker religious practice.’
- ‘During the ceremony they will commit themselves to celibacy, obedience to the church and to a life of prayer and service.’
- ‘Marriage has many pains, says Johnson in Rasselas, but celibacy has no pleasures.’
- ‘If you are struggling with celibacy like this, maybe active ministry isn't where you should be?’
- ‘The early Church saw a debate between the proponents of chastity and celibacy.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.