One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The angular distance of a point east of the First Point of Aries, measured along the ecliptic.Compare with right ascension
- ‘Technically, a conjunction describes a precise alignment of heavenly bodies that happen to have the same celestial longitude - that is, they appear to line up in the sky, one directly above the other.’
- ‘By the time he returned home in January 1678, he had recorded the celestial longitudes and latitudes of 341 stars and observed a transit of Mercury across the Sun's disk.’
- ‘The Moon's motion along the ecliptic is measured in degrees and minutes of celestial longitude, but its orbit does not align exactly with the ecliptic.’
- ‘In this case, Mayan astronomers apparently focused on two cycles related to the number of days that elapse between consecutive passages of Mars through a given celestial longitude while traveling across the sky.’
- ‘But in fact, from day to day the earthbound observer does see the midday Sun at a different point along the same celestial longitude - up or down relative to the horizon.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.