One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The angular distance of a point north or south of the ecliptic.Compare with declination (sense 1)
- ‘Astronomers likewise use celestial latitudes for the angle north or south of the ecliptic plane.’
- ‘At latitude twenty-three degrees north, the celestial latitude of Cancer, it is overhead on June 21st.’
- ‘During a solar eclipse the Sun, Moon and Earth are more or less in line on the same celestial latitude.’
- ‘The instrument can be easily reversed to remove systematic errors in observations for determining the celestial latitudes of stars.’
- ‘It deviates by about 5 degrees of celestial latitude north and south each month.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.