Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A circular mounting on a ceiling, through which the wiring of an electric light passes.
- ‘Other period features include a cast iron fireplace with tiled inset and hearth, picture rails, deep skirting boards and an ornate ceiling rose.’
- ‘The entrance hall has elaborate cornicing, a ceiling rose, a dado rail and understairs storage.’
- ‘The living room is accessed through double doors and includes a stone fireplace with gas fire inset together with a ceiling rose and coving.’
- ‘There is a ceiling rose and considerable light enters through a large glass doorway which leads out to the rear garden.’
- ‘The spacious reception hall has the original ceiling rose and chandelier.’
- ‘Beside this, the family room is a bright space with a ceiling rose and a large fireplace with marble hearth.’
- ‘Timber flooring, a ceiling rose and a dado rail are all features of the entrance hall, to the left of which is the first of the property's two bedrooms.’
- ‘We also took the opportunity to put back a ceiling rose in the original style and will be re-fitting a picture rail to highlight the proportions of the room.’
- ‘Inside, the narrow entrance hallway has several attractive period features including an ornate archway, dado rail and a detailed ceiling rose.’
- ‘The lounge has a feature fireplace, period style ceiling rose, and a bay window, as has the dining room to the rear.’
- ‘Where can I source ceiling roses and cornicing?’
- ‘Both feature original cast iron fireplaces and cornicing and there is also an attractive ceiling rose in the living room.’
- ‘Then we added cornices, corbels, ceiling roses and two custom built crystal chandeliers.’
- ‘With an original oak floor, this area also features a carved oak ceiling rose, pediments, cornices and architraves.’
- ‘The bright entrance hallway has a centre ceiling rose and cornice work, an ornate arch and polished timber floors that run throughout the entire hall level.’
- ‘The entrance hall has original floor tiles laid out in a herringbone design, moulded cornices and an original ceiling rose.’
- ‘The first floor is home to three bedrooms, two of which are decent-sized doubles with original features such as decorative coving, picture rails and ceiling roses.’
- ‘The overhead light hangs from an intricate ceiling rose.’
- ‘One solitary plaster ceiling rose remains in the lobby: ‘They tried to get that one and it wouldn't come down,’ says Lowery.’
- ‘The replacement of a damaged leaf in a ceiling rose or of part of a frieze is not a major undertaking, and there are skilled plasterers and restorers available.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.