One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A very tall tropical American tree from which kapok is obtained, with lightweight yellowish or pinkish timber.
Ceiba pentandra, family BombacaceaeAlso called kapok
- ‘The tree most often used for these rituals is the ceiba, known as nkunia nsambi, the branch of god (nsambi).’
- ‘Just before he falls asleep he remembers a vast expanse of sugar cane, he remembers the still air, the sun beating down on the red earth and far off in the distance a ceiba tree that was haunted by the spirits of murdered slaves.’
- ‘Except for two years with the Cuban army in Angola, he has spent his life here, exploring every ceiba tree of the Caribbean's largest wetland.’
- ‘The book is about two taxa: the live oaks that dominate the coastal Louisiana landscape and the ceibas, the signature tree of the Guatemalan lowlands.’
- ‘The rusting set of free weights is scattered under a ceiba tree.’
Via Spanish from Taino, literally ‘giant tree’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.