Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A prehistoric picture on the interior of a cave, often depicting animals.
- ‘Finally, the artist pulled the sheet off the couple, revealing an image resembling a prehistoric cave painting.’
- ‘Here, even in the 20th century, it has been possible to observe the kind of battles depicted in Neolithic cave paintings.’
- ‘The quality of the artwork is the main reason that Lascaux is considered the finest example of prehistoric cave paintings.’
- ‘The bond between man and horse is one with deep historic ties dating back at least 15,000 years to the cave paintings in Lascaux, France.’
- ‘Bulls are found in stone carvings as well as in the prehistoric cave paintings of the region.’
- ‘Rocks featuring markings that resemble man-made configurations especially fascinate Fiore, who has viewed cave paintings in France.’
- ‘The most famous Paleolithic art works are the cave paintings near Lascaux, France.’
- ‘Whenever we see a novel or a cave painting or data on a computer, we know there's an intelligence behind it.’
- ‘We discovered that most cave paintings depict animals.’
- ‘Painting has been around for a long time, from cave painting, man's first artistic endeavour, to post-modernism.’
- ‘References are made to the importance of looking at other art (‘everything from cave paintings to the old masters to a range of contemporary painting’).’
- ‘Ancient cave paintings in Spain depict a woman harvesting honey.’
- ‘In Europe he found his instinctive style was part of a tradition that stretched from cave painting to the avant-garde.’
- ‘The discovery of prehistoric cave paintings in the last century led to the shocking realisation that humans have been creating art for over 30,000 years.’
- ‘They stood 6 feet tall and were the subject of many a cave painting, along with wooly mammoths and bison.’
- ‘No doubt art has been changing ever since the first cave painting was made.’
- ‘The book begins with an overview of the use of colour from primitive cave paintings to the interiors of ancient Egypt, Greece and Rome, through the wonders of the Renaissance and on to the Georgian, Victorian and post-modern eras.’
- ‘Throughout the installation, monitors showed video footage of the cave paintings at Lascaux.’
- ‘Yes, I was using images from cave painting; I could never make up anything like that.’
- ‘This is demonstrated amply by the wealth of Palaeolithic cave paintings and engravings.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.