One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A prehistoric picture on the interior of a cave, often depicting animals.
- ‘This is demonstrated amply by the wealth of Palaeolithic cave paintings and engravings.’
- ‘Whenever we see a novel or a cave painting or data on a computer, we know there's an intelligence behind it.’
- ‘The bond between man and horse is one with deep historic ties dating back at least 15,000 years to the cave paintings in Lascaux, France.’
- ‘Rocks featuring markings that resemble man-made configurations especially fascinate Fiore, who has viewed cave paintings in France.’
- ‘Yes, I was using images from cave painting; I could never make up anything like that.’
- ‘Throughout the installation, monitors showed video footage of the cave paintings at Lascaux.’
- ‘Painting has been around for a long time, from cave painting, man's first artistic endeavour, to post-modernism.’
- ‘Finally, the artist pulled the sheet off the couple, revealing an image resembling a prehistoric cave painting.’
- ‘The most famous Paleolithic art works are the cave paintings near Lascaux, France.’
- ‘The discovery of prehistoric cave paintings in the last century led to the shocking realisation that humans have been creating art for over 30,000 years.’
- ‘References are made to the importance of looking at other art (‘everything from cave paintings to the old masters to a range of contemporary painting’).’
- ‘The book begins with an overview of the use of colour from primitive cave paintings to the interiors of ancient Egypt, Greece and Rome, through the wonders of the Renaissance and on to the Georgian, Victorian and post-modern eras.’
- ‘No doubt art has been changing ever since the first cave painting was made.’
- ‘We discovered that most cave paintings depict animals.’
- ‘They stood 6 feet tall and were the subject of many a cave painting, along with wooly mammoths and bison.’
- ‘The quality of the artwork is the main reason that Lascaux is considered the finest example of prehistoric cave paintings.’
- ‘Here, even in the 20th century, it has been possible to observe the kind of battles depicted in Neolithic cave paintings.’
- ‘Bulls are found in stone carvings as well as in the prehistoric cave paintings of the region.’
- ‘In Europe he found his instinctive style was part of a tradition that stretched from cave painting to the avant-garde.’
- ‘Ancient cave paintings in Spain depict a woman harvesting honey.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.