Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Deliberately hurtful in one's remarks; spiteful.‘catty comments’
malicious, mean, nasty, cruel, unkind, unfriendly, snide, hurtful, wounding, barbed, cutting, hateful, ill-natured, bitter, venomous, poisonous, acid, hostile, rancorous, malevolent, evil-intentioned, baleful, vindictive, vengeful, vitriolic, vicious, splenetic, malign, malignant, biliousView synonyms
- ‘Let joy raise you above negative comments, catty remarks or outright persecution.’
- ‘Girls engage in catty behavior and nasty comments, judging each other on appearance and material possessions.’
- ‘The book sporadically manages to be amusingly catty, but never, try as it may, moving.’
- ‘I was racking my mind for some kind of catty remark, but was coming up empty.’
- ‘And as nerves fray and tempers rise you can be assured of a catty remark or backstage rumpus.’
- ‘The book is an acquired taste, but on stage it revealed itself as an entertaining character comedy thanks to a set of brilliant performances led by Ward as a catty matriarch driven by self-interest.’
- ‘They can make all the catty remarks they want and still not pass math.’
- ‘So when you post catty comments about your boss, it is the same as doing so in an interview.’
- ‘The climbing world can be a remarkably catty place, so it came as no surprise that not everyone was awed by the Russians' feat.’
- ‘I didn't think these girls could be so catty.’
- ‘Before Minerva could defend Kelly with a catty remark, Kelly cut her short.’
- ‘Certain catty colleagues liked to read these stories aloud.’
- ‘We have many friends and acquaintances with different political values, but these two are the only ones who feel the need to ruin a perfectly nice evening with snide and catty comments about people whom they know we support.’
- ‘She was the fighter in our group; she could make a tough girl cry with her endless barrage of snotty remarks and catty comebacks.’
- ‘An office would not be an office without gossip and catty remarks.’
- ‘You never get catty comments like that from female customers.’
- ‘I thought the hardest part of my recovery would be the pain and the crutches; I wasn't prepared for catty remarks from other dancers.’
- ‘I even made a catty remark about her hairband back in 1992, for which I'm truly sorry.’
- ‘ABC couldn't resist a catty comment on its Web site.’
- ‘Is this really what she dreamed of doing when she was in college: writing catty comments about the clothes and hairstyles of people who have actually accomplished things in their own lives?’
2Relating to cats; catlike.‘catty eyes’
- ‘Here are some other uplifting things: a cycle ride in the sun, coffee in the garden, a sleepy-eyed hello from the cat, which summons up the energy to eat some catty lunch before going for another sleep.’
A catapult.‘on the way to school we took potshots at dogs with our catty’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.