Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A positively charged ion, i.e. one that would be attracted to the cathode in electrolysis.The opposite of anion
- ‘It is called a cation if a positive charge exists and an anion if a negative charge exists.’
- ‘The key step in a unimolecular reaction is the formation of the carbon cation, or carbonium ion, by the departure of the leaving group.’
- ‘When two atoms swap electrons to produce a cation and an anion, the two ions are attracted to each other.’
- ‘The functional groups of iron hydroxides may sequestrate some cations and anions.’
- ‘Non-metals accept electrons in forming anions while metals donate electrons to form cations.’
Mid 19th century: from cata- ‘alongside’ or from cathode, + ion.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.