Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Luminescence excited by the impact of an electron beam.
- ‘Internal textures were imaged using backscattered electrons and cathodoluminescence.’
- ‘Zircons separated from the rock samples were mounted in epoxy resin, sectioned, imaged by cathodoluminescence, and dated using the SHRIMP-II ion microprobe at the Isotope Science Research Centre, Curtin University, Perth.’
- ‘Specimens were observed using transmitted light, polarized light, reflected light under oil, and cathodoluminescence.’
- ‘Mineralization was studied in core using cathodoluminescence, transmitted and reflected light microscopy and fluid inclusion microthermometry.’
- ‘A selection of carbonate and sulphide samples were analysed to determine their composition, and also to correlate any changes in composition with colour zonation identified in transmitted light or under cathodoluminescence.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.