One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A high-vacuum tube in which cathode rays produce a luminous image on a fluorescent screen, used in televisions and computer terminals.
display, monitor, visual display unit, vdu, cathode-ray tube, crtView synonyms
- ‘Both give much better picture quality than conventional televisions, with their bulky cathode ray tube.’
- ‘The cathode ray tube of any TV or computer monitor is really a particle accelerator.’
- ‘For the past 75 years, the vast majority of televisions have been built around the same technology, the cathode ray tube.’
- ‘He found that if the tube was placed within an electric or magnetic field, then the cathode rays could be deflected or moved (this is how the the cathode ray tube on your television works).’
- ‘These displays have been in development for almost two decades and utilize a type of cathode ray tube with as many cathodes as pixels and a high internal vacuum.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.