One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A telescope mounted on a graduated scale, used for accurate measurement of small vertical distances.
- ‘The length of fuel assemblies and fuel rods is measured by comparison with the length standard by means of cathetometer.’
- ‘Each cathetometer has a horizontal travel of 1.8 m and a vertical travel of 1.2 m.’
- ‘The vertical drops can be determined with a cathetometer even when someone else is gathering data with the apparatus.’
- ‘This computer program controls motors that drive translation stages in a metrology system that consists of a pair of two-axis cathetometers.’
- ‘The difference of the two readings on the cathetometer would give the corresponding length measured on the glass column for 100 ml.’
Mid 19th century: from Latin cathetus (from Greek kathetos ‘perpendicular line’, from kathienai ‘send or let down’) + -meter.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.