Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Place in a particular class or group.‘silk is categorized as a luxury import’
classify, class, group, grade, rate, designate, label, tag, brandorder, arrange, sort, rank, type, break downfile, catalogue, list, tabulate, index, assign, pigeonholeView synonyms
- ‘Freight was categorised into seven classes, which were analysed using several variables.’
- ‘LSI goes the other way round and first focuses on knowing and analyzing a document exhaustively before indexing or categorizing it.’
- ‘Students are now categorised by class as rigorously as nobles at the court of Louis XIV.’
- ‘These children from various pockets of the State have been categorised into seven groups.’
- ‘I can categorise the items on the list, which is good.’
- ‘I decided that I need to categorise it in order to try to understand.’
- ‘The Muslims in India are categorized into two distinct classes based on their origins.’
- ‘We often make sense of other people by categorizing them into labels and boxes that we ourselves feel comfortable with.’
- ‘Instead, Rolls lists and categorizes foods by their energy density.’
- ‘It helps us sort through and categorize our mail, ensuring your suggestion isn't lost in the shuffle.’
- ‘The list is categorized and is a great reference when you are looking for help!’
- ‘I forgot to mention in the last newsletter that I also use folders to categorize my files as well.’
- ‘Everything is ranked, classed and categorised for easy digestion in a vain attempt to bring forth order from chaos.’
- ‘One activity sheet requires a group of parents to categorise a list of sex words into polite, neutral, clinical and rude/offensive.’
- ‘I notice that the Guardian's weekly listings guide now categorises Islington cinemas under ‘Central London’.’
- ‘The DPRK formally categorizes its citizens into 51 classes.’
- ‘There are numerous ways to classify and categorize pain responses in people.’
- ‘He was found in possession of crack cocaine, which is categorized as a class A drug.’
- ‘Several classifications are used to categorize individual apple trees.’
- ‘Feist falls into the ‘credible easy listening’ pigeonhole, if you must insist on categorising her music.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.