One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1predicative (of a disease) infectious.‘chicken pox is catching until scabs form on all the blisters’
infectious, contagious, communicable, transmittable, transmissible, transferable, spreadingView synonyms
- ‘Billy's zest for life and sense of fun is catching.’
- ‘I am sure you have been in a situation when someone laughed, and it just seemed as though the laughter was catching.’
- ‘The patient may be afraid that their partner will think that it is catching.’
- ‘The disease is catching and will spread to other trees.’
- ‘It brings to mind a contagious catching ailment.’
- 1.1 (of a person's emotion or mood) likely to spread to other people.‘her enthusiasm is catching’
- ‘Habits such as smoking and, indeed, overeating were also found to be catching.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.