One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Be punished or told off.‘I'll catch it if he finds me here’
be reprimanded, be scolded, be rebuked, be taken to task, be admonished, be chastised, be castigated, get into trouble, be hauled over the coalsView synonyms
- ‘They bought the cheap labor mantra like it was religion and are now catching hell.’
- ‘It's because somewhere, they broke a rule they didn't know about and caught hell for it.’
- ‘Lately I've been spending too much time in your bars, coming home all hours of the morning and catching hell from my girlfriend.’
- ‘And when you're catching hell from both sides, as Brian indicated, you must be doing something right.’
- ‘Dave already has caught hell, and lots of it.’
- ‘The next day I really caught it from my so called buddies about taking her to the dance.’
- ‘Some state coordinators are still catching hell for the choices they made.’
- ‘They ran out of trolleys that night, and I caught hell from Mr Norton.’
- ‘I remember once going shopping for my Mum, and a friend asked me to get a jelly that her Mum had sent her for. Of course, Id forgotten that it would be ticked off our rations! I really caught it for that.’
- ‘Everything I did in life that was worthwhile I caught hell for.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.