Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] An infectious disease occurring after a scratch by a cat's claw, a splinter, or a thorn.
- ‘Having one episode of cat scratch disease usually makes people immune for the rest of their lives.’
- ‘All of these complications of cat scratch disease usually resolve without any lasting illness.’
- ‘In some cases, inflamed lymph nodes may be a sign of more serious diseases, such as tuberculosis, rabbit fever, cat scratch disease and sexually transmitted diseases.’
- ‘Then, Pines and Grove islanders came down with something diagnosed as cat scratch fever - later referred to as AIDS - and died.’
- ‘Central irregular hyperechogenic areas, blurred margins and central necrosis were most frequent in bacterial, tuberculous and cat scratch disease.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.