Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A ladder used for working on a sloping roof, with a hook at one end and pads to spread the load.
- ‘The cat ladder is excellent for promoting co-ordination with its individual rungs for each hand and foot.’
- ‘That part was not so bad; the worse part was climbing the cat ladder on the inside of the tower.’
- ‘Don't stand on roof tiles unless absolutely necessary; use the cat ladder or a creeper board for access to a chimney.’
- ‘They specialise in the manufacture and installation of fire escapes, access stairs, cat ladders and spiral stairs.’
- ‘I've seen the French roofers doing the same thing, using the guttering to support the cat ladder on the roof.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.