Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A person who is used by another to carry out an unpleasant or dangerous task.‘he was merely a cat's paw of older and cleverer men’
sycophant, toady, lackey, flunkey, minion, stooge, kowtower, truckler, groveller, crawler, creep, fawner, flatterer, lickspittle, uriah heep, puppet, cat's paw, instrument, pawn, underling, hanger-on, camp follower, doormat, spanielView synonyms
- ‘In a flash, the professor became a source of regional antagonism, a cat's paw of conservatives and the subject of widespread condemnation.’
- ‘It utilizes this gang of war lords as its cat's paw in Central Asia.’
- ‘They're going to send their cat's paws, the Democrats, after those who serve Jesus.’
- ‘With all the other parties, save the cat's paw Liberal Democrats, ganging up to denounce the First Minister, she produced a typically feisty performance that routed his opponents.’
- ‘So profound now is his dominance that all competitors have willingly consigned themselves to being nothing more than cat's paws.’
- ‘Throughout, they appear to have used Laos more or less as a complaisant cat's paw.’
- ‘I'll never be anybody's cat's paw again.’
- ‘The entire spectacle is a politically salutary lesson in the hypocrisy and brutality of imperialism, and the role of the United Nations as the cat's paw of great power politics.’
- ‘He thinks that the man is a cat's paw from Claggart who is still after him.’
- ‘The KLA was in fact functioning as a cat's paw of the Western powers.’
- ‘So there's no point waiting to call him what he is: an enemy of progressive change in this country and a cat's paw of the Republican party.’
- ‘But don't let their geeky, kindly manner turn you into a cat's paw.’
- ‘Each country thinks independence is the cat's paw of the other: a cosmetic cover for nefarious designs.’
- ‘We now have many senators who are mere cat's paws for the special interests.’
- ‘Apparently these protesters wanted to make the point that their political context and demands were completely local and that they could not be dismissed as cat's paws of Iran.’
- ‘According to the Spanish proposal, ‘violent urban youthful radicalism is increasingly being used as a cat's paw by terrorist groups in order to achieve their criminal aims’.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.