Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A person who casts something or a machine for casting something.
- ‘This is the secret as to why the big casters are able to cast flat out all day without encountering overruns and ‘snap-offs’.’
- ‘On occasion a slight problem occurs and the spell backfires on the caster and the caster had either killed themselves or killed others near them.’
- ‘A system of divination consists of a set of symbols which contain significant meaning to the caster.’
- ‘Nuremberg supported an exceptionally dynamic community of metalworkers ranging from renowned armourers, such as Valentin Siebenbürger and Kunz Lochner, to bronze and brass casters to goldsmiths.’
- ‘Artists invariably doubled as gold or silversmiths, bronze casters, stonecutters and carvers, carpenters, plasterers, and wood-carvers, as well as painters and sculptors.’
- ‘Regardless of your fly casting techniques, all casters are governed by the following four principles’
- ‘The maker's mark is that of Samuel Wood, a caster and cruet frame maker who rarely employed chased decoration.’
- ‘The next thing I know, the experienced sand casters are begging me to come down to the art room at recess to make another sand casting!’
- ‘The Hellenistic bronzes from Rhodes parallel the Greek ceramic evidence with their recording of both sculptor and caster.’
- ‘The brass casters of Igun Street are astute, adept quick studies and show a remarkable receptiveness to new technologies and ideas.’
- ‘Folktales became a popular source for the brass casters because they carry moral weight.’
- ‘Metal casters try to produce perfect castings.’
- ‘We are glass-blowers, flame workers and hot casters.’
A fly pupa used as bait.
- ‘Many anglers use pellets, boilies, gentles, casters and various flavoured paste baits, but for me it's bread.’
- ‘Always use the best quality bait you can obtain and keep maggots and casters in top condition.’
- ‘I always keep feeding with maggots and casters whatever I am fishing with at the time and caster will usually be my first change bait.’
- ‘The bait was two casters fished on a size 14 hook over a small carpet of hemp and caster.’
- ‘Some of the deeper slower water by the golf course and downstream is best fished with swim feeder rig using hemp as an attractor with gentles or casters as hook bait and feeding with hemp.’
3variant spelling of castor
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.