Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1[mass noun] Steel that has been melted and cast in a mould, rather than worked while solid.
- ‘Ductility depends greatly on the strength, or hardness, of the cast steel.’
- ‘He was the only exclusive manufacturer of mill picks in this country, bought only the best English cast steel from Sheffield, and employed only competent and careful workmen whom he personally superintended.’
- ‘The design team specified special cast steel anchors to eliminate the need for external connections.’
- ‘These cars were ideal for this type of service. Their cast steel and rivet construction could withstand the high temperatures of 150 tons of steel, when a welded construction car would have soon collapsed.’
- ‘He makes clay pipes in the traditional way using simple hand tools and original cast steel moulds dating from the 1800s.’
- ‘In general, straight chromium grades of high-alloy cast steel are either martensitic or ferritic, the chromium-nickel grades are either duplex or austenitic, and the nickel-chromium steels are fully austenitic.’
- ‘Each anchorage is a cast steel socket filled with epoxy and steel balls that lock in the individual cable wires.’
- ‘Its cast steel base is a sculpted form of structure.’
- ‘The housing is therefore subjected to a tensile stress, which is obviously below the yield stress of the cast steel normally used, but there is a measurable elastic deformation.’
- ‘The Ward & Paync catalogue of 1911 lists ten sizes of sash mortise chisels from one-eighth to three-quarters inch in two qualities, cast steel best quality and London pattern with solid bolsters.’
- 1.1historical Steel made by melting wrought iron in crucibles with charcoal.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.