One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A reddish, brownish, or yellowish mineral consisting of tin dioxide. It is the main ore of tin.
- ‘Several years ago a Colorado mineral dealer was alleged to have sold cassiterite fraudulently labeled as being from this area.’
- ‘The cassiterite occurs as pale brown, fine-grained vein fillings and is not of much interest to collectors as specimens.’
- ‘Crystals sometimes exhibit visible inclusions of micas and tourmaline as well as rarer minerals, such as cassiterite.’
- ‘Arsenopyrite, cassiterite, molybdenite, wolframite, uraninite, and several of the common sulfides have all been observed at various locations.’
- ‘It occurred in weathered material with colorless transparent cassiterite, which is thought to have been derived from the oxidation of stannite.’
- ‘The dike is characterized by a greater abundance of muscovite than biotite; it also contains columbite-tantalite, cassiterite, beryl, spodumene, lepidolite, montebrasite, pollucite, and tourmaline.’
- ‘One of the most sought after minerals on Gyoujayama, however, is cassiterite.’
- ‘Other important minerals include tin-bearing cassiterite, iron, tin, coal, phosphates, gold, and salt.’
- ‘The chief commodity sought is tin, as fine-grained cassiterite in vein swarms related to the emplacement of granitic rocks within sedimentary carbonates.’
- ‘The principal mineral resource is cassiterite (a tin ore), but exports are at a standstill since the collapse in world tin prices.’
- ‘A greisen is a quartz - mica aggregate containing significant amounts of cassiterite, wolframite, fluorite, topaz, rutile, and tourmaline.’
- ‘The quartz and albite contain small dark inclusions of cassiterite and columbite-tantalite-group minerals.’
- ‘The area has been a prolific source of smoky quartz, amazonite, occasional topaz, and other accessory minerals, including albite, fluorite, phenakite, columbite, cassiterite, goethite, and many others.’
- ‘The discovery of a pocket of cassiterite here in 1915 created a small flurry of interest in tin; however, further exploration was unproductive.’
- ‘All cassiterite crystals exhibit twinning, and most are black with metallic luster.’
- ‘This covers the tin and fluorite mines of the Bushveld Complex, and there are samples of cassiterite from the Rooiberg mine, fluorite from the Buffalo Fluospar mine, and a smaltite specimen from Buffelsfontein, Groblersdal.’
- ‘It occurs in more than ten minerals, including cassiterite and stannite.’
Mid 19th century: from Greek kassiteros ‘tin’ + -ite.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.