One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A sealed plastic unit containing a length of audio tape, videotape, film, etc. wound on a pair of spools, for insertion into a recorder, playback device, or other machine.
- ‘By the early 1970s, we were voraciously recording music onto blank cassettes: LPs, concerts, tunes from the radio.’
- ‘The children will be collecting unwanted books, CD's, videos, cassettes and records to raise funds for Oxfam's work in Africa.’
- ‘The album is a non-stop time warp to when we bid adieu to the cassette and embraced the compact disc.’
- ‘After the meeting she handed the recorder and the cassette to her brother, who passed it on to police.’
- ‘And then there was an extensive music collection of records, cassettes and CDs, all signed by Diana.’
- ‘The next thing I knew, I was slipping in a cassette, and pressing record.’
- ‘Unfortunately, the program won't remove the clicks and pops from recordings of old LPs and tape hiss from recordings of cassettes.’
- ‘A qualification which might be made of that statement is that, from the listener's viewpoint, CDs are much easier to control than vinyl records or cassettes.’
- ‘Same thing with compact discs; weren't records or cassettes enough?’
- ‘The screen tilts down at a touch of a button to reveal slots for playing compact disks and cassettes.’
- ‘This method works for any magnetic media like cassette or video tapes too.’
- ‘Members can also borrow music cassettes, spoken word cassettes, videos, maps and computer software.’
- ‘These initial albums were released on cassettes and were of dubious sound quality, yet they transcended the format and the strength of the songs shone through.’
- ‘Did he release a cassette of lo-fi four-track recordings?’
- ‘He is also an avid collector of albums - some 3,000 records, cassettes and CDs to be precise.’
- ‘Some of the stalls have devoted a good deal of space to cassettes and compact discs containing devotional music, inspirational songs and recorded discourses.’
- ‘Can MP3 really send CDs to the same dusty bin as vinyl records and cassettes?’
- ‘Music companies that produced and distributed both cassettes and compact discs tended to put the blame on royalty payments and operating costs.’
- ‘He had picked out several compact discs and cassettes, among other things that he'd chosen from our various racks and shelves.’
- ‘Its mostly cameras, a tape recorder, cassettes, and notebooks.’
Late 18th century: from French, diminutive of casse (see case).
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.