Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(of beer) undergoing a secondary fermentation in the cask and not filtered, pasteurized, or further processed before serving.
on draught, cask-conditioned, real-ale, from barrels, not bottled, not cannedView synonyms
- ‘He added: ‘The pub would be music-free, and there would be a range of cask-conditioned beers and a full menu.’’
- ‘If you visit a pub in the UK today you can choose from a cask-conditioned beer, a premium beer, a standard lager, a premium lager, a Guinness, and a non-cask conditioned beer plus any brand of bottled beers one can think of.’
- ‘The festival, which saw 23 different types of cask-conditioned real ales from breweries all over the UK available, ran from Friday evening until Sunday.’
- ‘Founded in 1971, it fought for the return of traditional, cask-conditioned beer to Britain's pubs to counterbalance the rise of keg’ ales and lagers.’
- ‘Roberts has always been a big fan of cask-conditioned beers, so expect to see more of them in the future.’
- ‘Real ale, or cask-conditioned ale, is brewed without additives and carbonated right in the serving vessel (the cask) by the action of living yeast.’
- ‘One of the house beers will be a cask-conditioned ale drawn by hand-pump.’
- ‘The brewery has established a national reputation for its bottle and cask-conditioned beers.’
- ‘The micro-brewery makes cask-conditioned real ale, which is sold in 24 pubs in South Lakeland.’
- ‘We are pleased to offer local people an exciting new opportunity to enjoy high-quality food and drink, including a superb range of cask-conditioned ales, in a smoke-free atmosphere’
- ‘Their annual Cask Beer Festival held each October attracts a sell-out crowd, with samples of 30 + cask-conditioned ales, many of which are produced solely for the one-day event.’
- ‘Held each August at the Olympia, the Great British Beer Festival features more than 700 cask-conditioned real ales and a foreign beer bar offering several hundred more classic beers in bottles.’
- ‘They serve both ales and lagers of distinction, which are brewed on premises, and have a different cask-conditioned ale every Friday.’
- ‘He said judges were looking at the quality of the cask-conditioned ale on sale, as well as the pub's general ambience.’
- ‘Tastings have been orchestrated around such topics as hop varieties, holidays, regions and countries, brewing styles, cask-conditioned ales, Great American Beer Festival winners, chefs and now philosophy.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.