One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A buffet or restaurant where cooked joints are displayed and carved as required in front of customers.
- ‘Early booking is vital for the carvery as places are limited.’
- ‘It's a kind of very upscale carvery in which you seat yourself, and then watch in awe as a vast selection of meats on a variety of different shaped skewers is paraded in front of you.’
- ‘Every day at lunch time, Monday through Saturday, it opens up its large dining room as a carvery, and offers a 25% discount to ‘seniors’.’
- ‘These do not appear to make life easy for disabled diners wanting to get to the carvery, although I understand temporary ramps can be installed on request.’
- ‘They have a fine carvery and always have glorious desserts.’
- ‘The heat in front of the carvery was quite uncomfortable, and the sheer volume of diners seemed temporarily to overwhelm the system as I waited some ten minutes or more.’
- ‘To ensure your place at the carvery you need to book now.’
- ‘So when I was asked to try out the lunchtime carvery at the Wenlock Arms at Wheldrake last Sunday, when my parents happened to be paying me a visit, I invited them along as well.’
- ‘A big bonus was the restaurant which, in addition to a wide-ranging menu, had a carvery.’
- ‘The race starts at 7 p.m., but most of us get there early to get a good seat and have something from the carvery in the hour beforehand.’
- ‘At another, purporting to be a carvery and grill, we were greeted by a stern faced catering management-type woman dressed in a black business suit.’
- ‘I'm going to go to Shenanigans at 6 p.m. and have something to eat from the carvery while waiting.’
- ‘The Ferryman serves bar food in its restaurant/diner throughout the week, offering a menu of both traditional Irish food and a daily carvery.’
- ‘The hotel, for which there is a major re-development planned, has its carvery in the Horseshoe Bar.’
- ‘Our railway-themed tap room is being done up and we now do great Sunday lunches in our carvery.’
- ‘I have been known to be wrong; however, if you get there early settle back and have something to eat at the carvery!’
- ‘There is a conference a banqueting suite for 180 people, served by a restaurant which also offers a Sunday carvery for members.’
- ‘My small grandson, however, thoroughly enjoys their Sunday carvery.’
- ‘I generally like to try the carvery before settling back for the race.’
- ‘The Countryman Inn at Winksley, near Ripon, has a 36-cover restaurant and a separate carvery or function room, but has little passing trade.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.