One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The collecting of picture cards, such as postcards or cigarette cards, as a hobby.
- ‘While cartophily is mainly associated with picture postcards, cigarette and trade cards, it is also applied to many other areas such as matchbox labels, stickers/transfers, menus and playing cards.’
- ‘Steve Talbot's Cartophily Pages is a site dedicated to cartophily (the hobby of collecting cigarette cards), including a swap shop.’
- ‘Complete sets of MacDonald's cricketers or Taddy's clowns rank among the blue chips of cartophily.’
- ‘So far, I am conscious that I may be painting an extremely rose-coloured picture of cartophily.’
- ‘This is an informational site devoted to cartophily, the hobby of collecting cigarette and other trade cards, a particular interest of mine.’
- ‘Cartophily bloomed in the early part of the 20th century as cartophily shops and clubs were formed to support the popular pastime.’
1930s: from French carte or Italian carta ‘card’ + -phily.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.