Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Fortune telling by interpreting a random selection of playing cards.
- ‘Rumpology works the same way as astrology, cartomancy, metoposcopy, palmistry, and getting messages from ghosts.’
- ‘Alliette (writing under the name of Etteilla) was probably the most famous of the French writers on cartomancy (divination by cards) Abrégé de la Cartomancie.’
- ‘There are many different tarot decks used in cartomancy.’
- ‘Astrology, astrotherapy, biorhythms, cartomancy, chiromancy, the enneagram, fortune telling, graphology, rumpology, etc., seem to work because they seem to provide accurate personality analyses.’
- ‘You could just use traditional cartomancy with a normal set of cards if needs drive.’
Late 19th century: from French cartomancie, from carte ‘card’ + -mancie (see -mancy).
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.