One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Be influential.‘the report is expected to carry considerable weight with the administration’
predominate, prevail, reign, be prevalent, be paramount, be pre-eminent, be most important, be influential, be significant, be of consequence, be of account, count, matter, signify, carry weight, bulk largeView synonyms
- ‘Each of these individuals has an opinion about what use should be made of the museum's limited funds, and their opinions carry weight.’
- ‘‘To be honest, the religious endorsement carried weight, and this upset the other candidates,’ he admitted.’
- ‘India's words will carry weight, its actions will move mountains.’
- ‘They carry weight because of their experience, and the expectation that they speak with the voice of disinterested patriotism.’
- ‘Citizens throughout the region will increasingly demand that their votes carry weight, and that elected representatives be given real authority.’
- ‘These are considered voices and ones which carry weight.’
- ‘His views would carry weight across the political spectrum.’
- ‘But why do they think their opinion carries weight?’
- ‘You know, I agree to a certain degree that, yes, the way we dress, the way that we present ourselves in their society does carry weight.’
- ‘He has since left the company, but his view may still carry weight.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.