One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Overcome all opposition.‘at the beginning of the decade the party seemed to carry all before them’
- ‘England have shown they are a match for a team that had previously carried all before them.’
- ‘Both girls are key members of the all conquering Charlestown under-14 girls football which has carried all before them this season to date.’
- ‘League results too were inconsistent, a far remove from those heady early days of 1966 when the Blues carried all before them.’
- ‘His unbounded ambition and ruthless cruelty carry all before him.’
- ‘This time a short penalty, just metres out, allowed the prop to thunder through the defence carrying all before him.’
- ‘Pinsent and Cracknell, Olympic heroes from Sydney, were supposed to carry all before them in the pairs.’
- ‘Last season they joined the Premiership from the league below and carried all before them, finishing fifth and qualifying for Europe.’
- ‘A chancellor who had carried all before him, and managed to ride roughshod over the rest of the cabinet no longer seemed invulnerable.’
- ‘It was only with victory in the 1982 Falklands War that she began to carry all before her.’
- ‘In his absence, the Trojans carried all before them, at one point even threatening to burn the Greek ships.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.