One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of a person's hair) orange-red in colour.‘a skinny little kid with carroty hair’
reddish, flaming red, flame-coloured, auburn, titian, chestnut, ginger, sandy, foxyView synonyms
- ‘His most distinguishable feature was his mop of carroty hair.’
- ‘A tall, thin rake of a Wearsider with carroty hair and a ginger moustache, he is a man who clearly loves his job.’
- ‘She was a scatty woman with flyaway wisps of carroty hair.’
- ‘He had a fistful of my carroty locks and he seemed to be examining them very closely.’
- ‘I can almost feel my carroty skin loosening at the thought…’
- ‘Even for those not aware that it refers originally to Vivaldi and his carroty hair, there is the vaguely sinister implication of subversive politics at work.’
- ‘Also, rather tragically, she was cursed with carroty orange hair and freckles.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.