Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A moist sponge cake containing grated carrot and typically topped with a buttercream or cream cheese icing:‘at lunchtime, how can we resist a fruit smoothie, a low-fat carrot cake, or a mocha cappuccino?’
- ‘Believe me, carrot cake does not get better than this.’
- ‘There's also a decent gourmet version of carrot cake, and a nice, fluffy, omelet-shaped creation called a crepe souffle resting in a citrus sauce.’
- ‘If you have any room left, try one of the fantastic-looking desserts - New York cheesecake, chocolate cake, carrot cake and lemon meringue pie.’
- ‘A disagreeably stiff slice of carrot cake obviously had come straight from the fridge - and before that from the supplier's box.’
- ‘The truth is, when I serve my homemade carrot cake, I'm assailed by recipe requests.’
- ‘I made a carrot cake yesterday if you'd like to come in and have a piece.’
- ‘The dessert list boasts some 15 different delights, including lemon meringue tart, hot blackberry and apple crumble, a classic Victoria sponge cake, carrot cake and chocolate pecan tart.’
- ‘I was expecting some chocolate cake, carrot cake, mixed fruitcake, cheesecake, tomato cake, apple cake, some ordinary cake, but what was placed in front of me was shortcake.’
- ‘Other desserts included cheesecake, carrot cake, banoffi pie and chocolate cake.’
- ‘I'm not sure that a nutritionist would agree, carrot cake being an oil-based cake with its own fair share of sugar and flour.’
- ‘On the sweet side, they make truly excellent baked goodies: scones, shortbread, cookies, brownies, cheesecake, carrot cake, date cake, fruitcake, lemon cake, and a flourless orange cake I just had to try and emulate.’
- ‘I love how people who turn up their noses at chocolate, sponge and butter cakes will happily accept a big wedge of carrot cake on the ground that it is healthy.’
- ‘They even have carrot cake, wonder of wonders, although the frozen yogurt is a bit frightening.’
- ‘Your good intentions to eat apples and carrots can get trampled in your stampede to devour apple pie and carrot cake.’
- ‘I had the carrot cake, which was covered in thick butter icing, but lacking in the moistness this cake usually has.’
- ‘We did eventually get to look at the dessert menu, which included apple pie, carrot cake, baked blueberry cheesecake and fresh fruit salad.’
- ‘Oooohhhh - did you really need those last bites of carrot cake?’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.