One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A portable clock in a rectangular case with a handle on top.
- ‘Sometimes it's the little things that hold my attention - the set design on an Arabic news programme that reminds me of my primary school or the very Western-looking carriage clock on the bookshelves in a Chinese living room.’
- ‘Auctions are a minefield of reproductions, particularly with objects like Galle glass and repeater carriage clocks, so it is important to do your homework and get expert advice.’
- ‘You know a friend recently sold a rare carriage clock for £2,000.’
- ‘I opened my free gift, a tiny gold carriage clock packed in a blue and gold box tied by a gold ribbon.’
- ‘Former headteacher and artist, Clifford Fisher, who was the oldest Old B present, was voted President for Life and presented with a carriage clock, to mark the occasion.’
- ‘Reply within ten days and a handsome carriage clock could be yours to treasure.’
- ‘The Carlesberg trophy for the club's most outstanding player went to Alan Brooksbanks, who was also presented with a tankard and carriage clock prior to his return to New Zealand.’
- ‘A Georgian silver cutlery set, an antique carriage clock, a pendulum clock, rings, a pocket watch, cash and a purse were among items taken.’
- ‘When you think about it, it's funnier to see people pulling out all the stops to win a carriage clock than a Caribbean cruise.’
- ‘I wonder will his colleagues buy him a carriage clock?’
- ‘Instead of a carriage clock on the shelf, he has a crystal vase, one of which was presented to every player who participated in the 1958 World Cup finals, where he won three of his eight Scotland caps.’
- ‘At the age of 65 you retired with a nice carriage clock and went home to spend your pension on potting plants and pipe tobacco.’
- ‘Former headteacher and artist Clifford Fisher, the oldest Old B present, was voted President for Life and presented with a carriage clock to mark the occasion.’
- ‘Part of his effects removed from HMS Victory, the chronometer was later placed in an inscribed carriage clock case by his niece, Charlotte.’
- ‘The SRU's director of rugby Jim Telfer is unwilling to set a date for receiving his carriage clock but he has confirmed that he would be stepping down from his post ‘sooner rather than later’.’
- ‘True, it's not the most conventional way of marking a quarter of a century in the toughest business in the world, but then again, you didn't expect some big chief executive to reel out a carriage clock did you?’
- ‘At the end of the Mass the parishioners made a presentation of a millennium carriage clock, a set of gold vestments, and a wallet of notes.’
- ‘A total of 140 lots will include costume and other jewellery as well as silver cutlery, dish covers, clock cases, brass carriage clocks, a selection of long case clocks, military buttons, shoe buckles and belts.’
- ‘And you get a free gift of a Parker pen or a carriage clock, possession of which the family will presumably fight over once they have eaten the ham sandwiches at the wake you paid for.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.