Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A shelter for a car consisting of a roof supported on posts, built beside a house.
car port, lock-upView synonyms
- ‘A bedroom window in a garage wall is a fire safety violation and is an indication that your garage is either an addition or a converted carport.’
- ‘Metal carports can be added to any residence or commercial site.’
- ‘Across the region, residents dealt with downed branches, knocked-over trees, malfunctioning traffic signals, leaky roofs, crumpled carports and battered mobile homes.’
- ‘But first I'm painting the carport (actually a corrugated iron shelter) green and planting some climbing plants in front of it.’
- ‘There is a double carport to the side of the house.’
- ‘Vines grow all over the alley's crypt-like garages and carports, their tendrils reaching around to grab trees and trashcans.’
- ‘When the investigating officers checked the home, they found the two suspects hiding in the carport, one under a car and the other on the roof.’
- ‘A laneway to the side of the house provides access to a private carport.’
- ‘The apartment has one designated parking space in a carport immediately outside the building, and there is plenty of guest parking available in a communal car park.’
- ‘It changed the nature of suburban streets, with cul-de-sacs replacing straight streets as desirable places to reside and house design changing to incorporate carports or garages.’
- ‘You saw carports down, roofs that had been ripped off, insulation all over the ground.’
- ‘Normally I would park my car in the carport and close the gate to the carport and trust that it would look locked.’
- ‘Damage was concentrated in the carport, sundeck and exterior of the house.’
- ‘The 22-by 33-foot room replaces a carport and is connected directly to the house.’
- ‘Some of the town houses will have garages and the condominiums will have carports.’
- ‘Two covered carports also shelter a woodworking shop and a recycling shed; more outdoor parking is included at the edge of the three-acre neighborhood.’
- ‘I witnessed my neighbors' propane tanks, sofas and carports going right down the river in front of my eyes.’
- ‘We are replacing a dilapidated carport which is attached to our garage and the (south-facing) front of our house with a pergola.’
- ‘Is there space in your garage or carport for a storage loft?’
- ‘They pull the car into the carport with pillars and a crumbling stucco facade.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.