One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A burrowing bivalve mollusc of temperate and warm seas, with concentric growth rings and irregular coloured markings.
Genus Venerupis, family Veneriidae
- ‘They aren't as salty and assertive as, say, vongole veraci, or carpet shell clams, or the littleneck clams that are so common here on the East Coast of the U.S.’
- ‘Nowadays, oyster and mussel farmers have been joined by farmers of carpet shell clams.’
- ‘Fauna and fauna include live cockles, trough shells, carpet shells and tellins.’
- ‘The high productivity of the wetlands supports a profitable marine population including carpet shells, gilthead and eels.’
- ‘Look for the shells of common species such as cockles, trough shells, sand gapers, carpet shells, razor shells, striped Venus and thin tellins.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.